OSHA electrical safety is separated into industry-specific electrical standards, with various subsections for each. It includes 1910.137, 1915.181, 1917.157, 1926.407, and 1926.950.
General guidelines for electrical safety in accordance with the OSHA standards include:
- Before application, all electrical equipment must pass visual inspections.
- Equipment should be utilized just for its intended purpose.
- Never use defective or unauthorized equipment.
- Ensure that all power systems, electrical equipment, and electrical circuits are correctly grounded at all times.
- Never use portable electric tools or equipment in wet areas or near exposed wires.
- Adhere to all lockout tagout procedures.
- Only use non-conductive materials like wood or fiberglass while working near electrical lines.