While electricity can be dangerous, we have harnessed it well enough that we can use it safely by reducing the risks of harm and accidents. Even so, it’s still important to be mindful of the common hazards that come with working with electricity. These hazards include:
The accidental re-energizing of a machine that’s under repair or maintenance can cause electric shock.
Water is known to conduct electricity very well. Because of this, water can cause shock or electrocution.
Touching or bumping into overhead electrical wires can also cause electrocution. It’s also important to make sure that if you are holding or touching a ladder or any other object, it won’t touch the wires either.
Faulty, frayed, or improper wiring
Faulty wiring can cause shock, electrocution, arc flashes, and more. Damaged wires can be harmful as well and will need to be repaired or replaced.
An arc flash is produced by electric discharge traveling through the air between two conductors. It can produce a very bright light and high heat, and it can also cause injury to anyone nearby.
A proper lockout tagout procedure, proper application of LOTO devices, and effective visual communication can help employees avoid these hazards in the workplace.