Group lockout activities necessitate more cooperation and communication between all employees involved. The following are the 7 steps to a more structured and successful group lockout:
- Each lockout point is secured by a designated supervisor.
- The supervisor notifies all authorized employees involved in the group lockout.
- Each lockout point is secured by the supervisor with a device, padlock, and tag.
- All padlock keys are placed into the lock box by the supervisor.
- Other authorized employees conducting service or maintenance secure the lock box with a padlock.
- Once the group lockout procedure is completed, each authorized employee removes their individual padlock from the lock box.
- After removing all padlocks from the lock box, the supervisor recovers all keys from within the lock box.
- The supervisor, then, removes the padlocks from the locked out switch, machine, or equipment, indicating that it is now ready for use.